21 Reasons to See a Gynecologist Before You Turn 21
21 Reasons to See a Gynecologist Before You Turn 21 (Text Version)
Although most teens don’t need to have a Pap test until they are 21 years old, there are at least 21 reasons to see a gynecologist before then.
- Learn about healthy lifestyles and how to feel good about yourself.
- Discuss good habits for healthy bones.
- Learn if you have a urinary tract infection (UTI) and the treatment options.
- Get treatment for vaginal itching, discharge, or other symptoms.
- Learn if your periods are normal.
- Get relief if your periods are painful.
- Find out why your periods are too heavy.
- Discuss the timing of your periods and why bleeding may occur in between.
- Learn ways to deal with premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
Sexuality & Relationships
- Learn how to have healthy romantic relationships.
- Learn what it means to be in a consensual relationship.
- Ask questions about what it means to be lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer (LGBTQ).
- Learn about safe sex.
- Talk about how your reproductive system works.
- Discuss birth control options.
- Discuss the ideal time to start a family.
- Get tested for pregnancy.
- Weigh your options if you get pregnant.
Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Learn how to lower your risk of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
- Get tested for STIs and HIV if you are sexually active.
- Get the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine.
PFSI019: This information is designed as an educational aid to patients and sets forth current information and opinions related to women’s health. It is not intended as a statement of the standard of care, nor does it comprise all proper treatments or methods of care. It is not a substitute for a treating clinician’s independent professional judgment. For ACOG’s complete disclaimer, visit www.acog.org/womens-health/about-acog/disclaimer.
Copyright May 2020 by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, posted on the internet, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without prior written permission from the publisher.