ACOG's Immunization Champions
ACOG is proud to acknowledge the below Ob-Gyn Immunization Champions. These Immunization Champions are considered leaders in maternal and adult immunization. They have demonstrated exceptional progress in increasing immunization rates among adults and pregnant women in their communities through leadership, innovation, collaboration, and educational activities aimed at following ACOG and CDC guidance to increase immunization rates among women.
Congratulations to ACOG's 2019 Immunization Champion Award Winners!
The ACOG Immunization Champion Award recognizes members who have demonstrated exceptional progress in increasing immunization rates among women. The Immunization Champion Award is intended to recognize ob-gyns who are doing an exemplary job by going above and beyond to educate patients and other providers as well as increasing access to immunizations in their practice, communities, and/or the national level.
- Dr. Dana Meaney-Delman is an OBGYN generalist practicing at Grady Memorial hospital as an Adjunct Faculty member for Emory University in Atlanta Georgia. For many years, she has promoted routine vaccination as part of well woman care and has advocated for the increased use of vaccines during the prenatal and postpartum period. She is passionate about preventing morbidity and mortality among women from infectious diseases.
- Dr. Denise Jean Jamieson is the James Robert McCord Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology at Emory and has been practicing general obstetrics and gynecology at Grady for 22 years. With her Emory and Morehouse colleagues, she launched an initiative to increase maternal immunization rates among pregnant patients at Grady.
- Dr. Mary Pell Abernathy is a Maternal-fetal Medicine specialist working at the Indiana University School of Medicine. She is currently serving as the ACOG Indiana Section Chair. Dr. Abernathy is working with the Indiana State Department of Health and IU School of Public Health to improve access for HPV vaccination among college age students. She remains a strong advocate for immunizations for women and has presented at the statewide conference regarding the safety of Tdap and Flu vaccinations during pregnancy.
ACOG's 2018 Immunization Champion Award Winners
- Dr. Linda O’Neal Eckert maintains a clinical practice in obstetrics & gynecology at the University of Washington, Harborview Medical Center, where she is a Professor in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Adjunct Professor in the Global Health Department. She is on ACOG’s Immunization, Infectious Disease, & Public Health Preparedness Expert Work Group, and works as a consultant to WHO and to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in policy and implementation tool development for maternal immunization, and the HPV vaccine.
- Dr. Meryl Y. Grimaldi, Vice Chair of St. Barnabas Hospital ob-gyn is a generalist OB GYN. She works in a safety net Bronx Hospital that cares for a large multicultural medically underserved population. A comprehensive program of preconception, prenatal and postpartum vaccination is the standard of care in the department.
- Dr. Sangini S. Sheth is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences at Yale School of Medicine. Dr. Sheth has been using dissemination and implementation science methods to successfully improve HPV vaccine utilization among patients of Yale New Haven Hospital’s obstetrics and gynecology clinic in outpatient and inpatient postpartum settings.
Immunization, Infectious Disease, and Public Health Preparedness Expert Work Group
In 2010, the College convened an Immunization Expert Work Group to further enhance the role of ob-gyns as vaccinators of adolescent and adult women. In 2017, the work group changed its name to the Immunization and Emerging Infections Expert Work Group, as they expanded their role beyond immunizations to address infectious diseases such as Anthrax, Ebola, and Zika virus.
- Laura Riley, MD (Weill Cornell Medicine, New York, NY)
- Kevin Ault, MD (University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS)
- Richard Beigi, MD (Magee-Womens Hospital of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA)
- Linda O'Neal Eckert, MD (University of Washington, Seattle, WA)
- Barbara Fisher, MD, PhD (Providence Health & Services, Providence, OR)
- Brenna Hughes, MD (Duke Perinatal, Durham, NC)
- Denise Jamieson, MD, CAP, MC USPH (Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA)
- Howard Minkoff, MD (Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY)
- Flor Munoz, MD (Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX)
- Lois Ramondetta, MD (MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX)
- Neil Silverman, MD (Center for Fetal Medicine and Women's Ultrasound, Los Angeles, CA)
- Rhoda Sperling, MD (Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY)
- Geeta Swamy, MD (Duke University, Durham, NC)
- J. Martin Tucker, MD (Jackson Healthcare for Women, Flowood, MS)
- Titilope Oduyebo, MD (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA)
- Lisa S. Ipp, MD (Weill Cornell Medicine, New York, NY)
Increasing Immunization Rates through Obstetrician-Gynecologist Partnerships Champions
The Increasing Immunization Rates through Obstetrician-Gynecologist Partnerships project is a four-year, CDC-funded cooperative agreement aimed at reducing barriers and improving adult immunizations in pregnant and non-pregnant populations. In 2015, this project identified the below immunization champions to help ACOG create and improve resources that will benefit other ob-gyns as they improve their immunization programs and establish a culture of immunization.
- Laila Al-Marayati, MD (Eisner Pediatric & Family Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA)
- Carol Archie, MD (Linda Cowan, MD and Associates, Los Angeles, CA)
- Richard Bardowell, MD (Richard Bardowell, MD, Burbank, CA)
- Karla Iacampo, MD (Karla Iacampo, MD, Inc., Santa Monica, CA)
- Samuel Kassar, MD (Woodglen Ob-Gyn Medical Group, Glendora, CA)
- Deirdre Logan, MD (Watts Healthcare Corporation, Los Angeles, CA)
- Ranoo Sabnis, MD (UCLA Westlake OB/GYN, Westlake Village, CA)
- Laura Sirott, MD (Laura Sirott, MD, Pasadena, CA)
- Ayanna Walden, MD (Ayanna Walden, MD, Beverly Hills, CA)
- Jacqueline Trejo, MD (Santa Monica Gyn-ob, Santa Monica, CA)
- Laura Bookman, MD (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA)
- Khady Diouf, MD (Brigham and Women's Outpatient Obstetrics Practice, Boston, MA)
- Huma Farid, MD (Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton Ob/GYN, Milton, MA)
- Jennifer Kickham, MD (Massachusetts General Hospital Ob/Gyn, Boston, MA)
- Evelyn Marsh, MD (New England OB-GYN Associates, Chestnut Hill, MA)
- Katherine Marshall, MD (Brookline Women's Health, Allston, MA)
- Aaron Mendel, MD (Central Massachusetts OB/GYN Associates, Shrewsbury, MA)
- Julie Miner, MD (Brigham Faulkner Ob/Gyn Associates, Jamaica Plain, MA)
- Marcus Ortega Alves, MD (University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worchester, MA)