Evaluation and Management Changes for 2021
On February 9, 2019, the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) Editorial Panel approved revisions to the Evaluation and Management (E/M) office visit CPT codes to address some of the issues related to administrative burden for physicians in the United States.
The primary goals of the revisions are:
- To decrease administrative burden of documentation
- To decrease the need for audits by adding and expanding key definitions and guidelines
- To decrease unnecessary documentation in the medical records
ACOG is here to help
The AMA has put together several resources to help physicians navigate through this impending change. These tools are located at the AMA website and include the following:
- The updated AMA E/M medical decision-making chart for 2021
- A free 2021 AMA E/M training module
- A practice management checklist of items to review to ensure your practice is ready for the changes on January 1, 2021.
ACOG is incorporating updated E/M reporting guidance for 2021 into our 2020 and 2021 coding webcasts and workshops.
ACOG has also produced a short initial podcast to help educate our Fellows on these issues. Stream CHEC Your Practice Episode 8: Major Payment and Documentation Changes Coming in 2021 for free.
Stay tuned for information updates and tools as we prepare for E/M 2021!