ACOG is working to ensure that the telehealth coverage and reimbursement improvements made at the outset of the COVID-19 pandemic continue during the ongoing crisis and beyond. We know that as some states begin the process of reopening, there are many questions about what policies private plans will keep or do away with in the coming weeks.
Several states have issued executive orders, emergency waivers, and other similar policy changes that require state-regulated plans to cover telehealth services. Those policies and expiration dates vary by state and by health plan. We will continue to keep you informed in the coming weeks about our telehealth advocacy and ensure sure you know how to make your voice heard.
We recommend referencing both your state’s policies and private payer policies, like those listed here:
- Cigna is extending their interim virtual care policy through at least July 31.
- Humana is extending their member cost sharing waivers for telehealth through the end of the year. Their reimbursement policies may vary by state.
- United Healthcare has said that telehealth reimbursement expansions are effective until June 18.
- Aetna will cover limited evaluation and management visits rendered via telephone until August 4.
- Anthem is covering audio-only visits through June 19 and patient cost sharing for telehealth is waived until June 17.
Some states and payers may further extend these deadlines. For related ACOG resources, check out:
- New advocacy brief on Telehealth and Remote Patient Monitoring for Pregnant and Postpartum Women
- Billing for Digital and Telehealth Services during COVID-19
- COVID-19 FAQs on Telehealth for Obstetrician-Gynecologists
Also, the Federal Reserve will be launching a new lending program in the next two weeks called the Main Street Lending Program, for practices with up to 15,000 employees. Three types of loans will be made available and practices will apply directly to an authorized lender.
We’ve updated our FAQs for Practices on Financial Relief Provisions in the CARES Act to help you prepare for the launch of the Main Street Lending Program, and to provide you with the latest information on Paycheck Protection Program loan forgiveness.
Visit the Financial Support for Physicians and Practices webpage for more information on federal relief funds, advanced and accelerated payment programs, and the COVID-19 telehealth reimbursement program. Learn more about ACOG’s financial support advocacy efforts.