Retired, Semi-Retired, and Disabled Physicians
Senior, Life Fellow, and Disabled Requirements
A Fellow in good standing may request to be Fellow Senior Status or Life Fellow due to advancing age, illness, or other sufficient reason. Fellows wishing to attain this status must submit an application.
Please see the requirements to determine which category you qualify for. An application cannot be retroactive. Processing time can take up to two weeks.
Fellow Senior Status
- Completion of 25 years of active Fellow status, attainment of age 60, and part-time engagement in any professional activity.
Fellow Senior Status (Disabled)
- Temporarily or partially disabled from performing the professional activities of a board-certified obstetrician–gynecologist (requires current written documentation from disability insurance carrier or treating physician).
Privileges & Dues
- Continued rights and privileges of a Fellow, use of the initials FACOG, and the ability to vote and hold office.
- National dues are assessed annually.
- Completion of 25 years of active Fellow status, attainment of age 65, and full retirement from the clinical practice of medicine and surgery.
Life Fellow (Disabled)
- Permanently and totally disabled from performing the professional activities of a board-certified obstetrician–gynecologist (requires current written documentation from disability insurance carrier or treating physician).
Privileges & Dues
- May vote but cannot hold office, serve on commissions, committees and task forces, or continue to use their FACOG designation.
- No National, District, or Section dues are assessed. However, Life Fellows requesting continued ACOG mailings such as Obstetrics & Gynecology (the Green Journal) will be assessed a subscription fee of $95 annually. This subscription includes access to Practice Bulletins and Committee Opinions.
To maintain Life Fellow membership, you must fulfill the annual obligation:
- Life Fellows joining after June 30, 2020 are assessed a $25 annual membership fee.
- Life Fellows who joined in 2019 or earlier are not assessed a membership fee but are required to respond to continuation of membership notification.
ACOG requires all Life Fellow members to check in annually.