Spotlight: HPV Dear Colleague Letter
On February 3, 2021, ACOG, the American Academy of Family Physicians, American College of Physicians, and Immunization Action Coalition released an updated Dear Colleague letter encouraging health care professionals to promote HPV vaccination. The letter provides key facts about HPV-associated disease and HPV vaccine safety and effectiveness so that health care professionals can discuss HPV vaccination confidently with patients and parents.
In a previously released joint statement on the elimination of HPV, ACOG, alongside several other organizations representing a full range of practice areas that care for patients across the life span, urged all health care professionals to strongly recommend HPV vaccination to eligible patients and stress the benefits and safety of the HPV vaccine.
For additional resources, check out ACOG’s HPV tool kit, which includes …
- Committee Opinion 809: Human Papillomavirus Vaccination
- Frequently asked questions for patients concerning HPV vaccinations
- Frequently asked questions for obstetrician–gynecologists and other health care professionals concerning HPV
- HPV vaccination physician script
- HPV vaccination coding card
- Sample letter to use in your practice as a way to recommend the HPV vaccine for patients and their family members
- HPV vaccine information statement
- Standing orders for administering the HPV vaccine