The Emergencies in Clinical Obstetrics (ECO) course has been created from the most recent, evidence-based literature to train all levels of providers to work together during obstetric emergencies. Version 3.0 includes two parts:
- A three-hour online course
- A three-hour simulated training session to provide the background for interprofessional team management of obstetrical emergencies
Information to purchase V3 will be available soon. There is a flat rate cost of $125 per seat.
Course completion results in ECO certification for up to 24 months, ABOG MOC Part IV credit, and 6 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ for physicians. Institutional leaders and administrators can purchase course seats in the course tab above.
Institutions set up their own training sessions; participants receive information about this from their institutions (not ACOG). The five units in the didactic session include:
- Breech Vaginal Delivery
- Shoulder Dystocia
- Postpartum Hemorrhage
- Umbilical Cord Prolapse
- Teamwork and Communication
Upon completion of this course, clinicians will have a solid understanding of why teamwork and simulation training is so important for obstetric patient safety.
Upon completing both the online and the simulated course, participants should be able to:
- Describe evidence-based protocols for common obstetric emergencies
- Demonstrate correct technique and performance of key responsibilities during simulated obstetric emergencies
- Practice teamwork and communication for simulated cases complicated by shoulder dystocia, postpartum hemorrhage, umbilical cord prolapse, and vaginal breech delivery
Who Should Attend
All health care professionals who assist with obstetrical emergencies are encouraged to take this course: Attending obstetricians, anesthesiology staff, midwives, nurses, residents, and others. For individual registration for the online course, please contact staff at [email protected].