This module presents the evaluation and management of Bartholin gland pathology. The module includes a review of anatomy, clinical presentation, surgery of the Bartholin gland, and follow up care.
A simulated model will give PGY-1 to PGY-4 residents practical experience with marsupialization.
By the end of this simulation, residents will be able to:
- Understand the anatomy and pathophysiology of a Bartholin gland cyst
- Describe the clinical presentation of Bartholin cysts and abscesses
- Understand surgical management and obtain consent for the procedure
- Demonstrate the steps of marsupialization
- Understand follow up care
Read the objectives and content for the module. After successfully passing the assessment, print the evaluation form, which will be used by your faculty during the simulation lab or operative procedure. Once you have been evaluated, ask your faculty to sign the form and give it to your program director. Be sure to enter your faculty's name in the module.
Each module contains a description of the simulation needed for the resident's evaluation. Once the resident completes the simulation, sign the evaluation form and instruct the resident to submit it to the program director.
The resident's score will be calculated when the resident completes the assessment. The faculty evaluator's name will also be collected during the assessment. After verifying that all requirements have been met, enter the evaluation form into the resident's records.
- Gershenson D, Lentz G, Valea F, Lobo R. Genital tract infection: Vulva, Vagina, Cervix, Toxic Shock Syndrome, Endometritis, and Salpingitis. Comprehensive Gynecology. 8th ed. Elsevier, Inc; 2022.
- Handa VL, Van Le L, eds. Surgery for Benign Vulvar Conditions. Te Linde’s Operative Gynecology. 12th ed. Wolters Kluwer; 2020.
- Hoffman BL, Schorge JO, Halvorson LM, Hamid C, Corton M, Schaffer JI. Benign Disorders of the Lower Reproductive Tract. Williams Gynecology. 4th ed. McGraw-Hill companies; 2020.
- Illingworth B, Stocking K, Showell M, Kirk E, Duffy J. Evaluation of treatments for Bartholin’s cyst or abscess: a systematic review. BJOG: Int J Obstet Gy. 2020;127(6):671-678.
- Rotem R, Diamant C, Rottenstreich M, et al. Surgical Treatment of Bartholin’s Gland Abscess: Is Word Catheter Superior to Marsupialization? Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology. 2021;28(6):1211-1215.
Created March 2023
Simulations Working Group Resources
The ACOG Simulations Working Group is dedicated to the development and implementation of unique, standardized, and validated simulations-based curricula as an adjunct to improve residency education and clinical competence beyond residency.Simulation Resources