Equitable Payment Rates for Maternity and Surgical Care
ACOG Win: We Stopped Payment Cuts for Obstetric Care!
In the 2021 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule final rule, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) increased the value of the global obstetric codes! CMS had previously increased payment rates for Evaluation and Management (E/M) office visits beginning in 2021, but they did not originally apply those payment increases to the global obstetric codes.
In the proposed and finalized rules, CMS indicated that they reconsidered the value of the global obstetric codes “based on input provided...by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.” In other words, our advocacy efforts worked!
Our Work Continues: Stop 2021 Payment Cuts for Surgical Services
CMS is moving forward with 2021 payment cuts to surgical services. ACOG is deeply concerned that these cuts will negatively affect obstetrics and gynecology practices and worsen access to gynecologic surgery. We strongly oppose these unfair cuts and will continue our work to stop them from going into effect. Scroll down to learn more about our comprehensive advocacy efforts.
Coding & Payment Resources
- ACOG Applauds CMS for Finalizing Obstetric Payment Updates, Urges Congress to Act on Gynecologic Care
- Multispecialty Sign-on Letter to CMS on the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule
- ACOG Commends CMS for Recognizing the Importance of Maternity Care
- ACOG Continues Work to Stop 2021 Medicare Payment Cuts
- ACOG Highlights Necessary Action To Combat Maternal Mortality In The Wake Of COVID-19
- ACOG Calls on Congress to Stop Forthcoming Payment Cuts