Immediate Past President
The Immediate Past President serves as a national officer the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the ACOG Foundation (collectively referred to as “ACOG”). As an Executive Board member, this position is responsible for ACOG’s general management and governance and shall carry out other duties as assigned by ACOG’s President.
The Immediate Past President participates in the reporting of ACOG’s policies and tenets to members at councils, committees, task forces and district and section functions. As a presidential officer, he or she represents ACOG with other medical organizations, the government, the media, the public, and in other areas as needed. The Immediate Past President reviews selected documents for consistency with ACOG policies. He or she also prepares and reviews documents, agendas, reports, or other materials for the business of ACOG. The Immediate Past President must be available to represent the President when needed, as well as participate and vote on issues between meetings that require approval.
The Immediate Past President has fiduciary duties to ACOG including the duty of care and the duty of loyalty. All Executive Board responsibilities must be carried out in good faith, with reasonable care, honesty,and due diligence in a manner that is in the best interest of ACOG, not to any constituent group.
The Immediate Past President serves as the chair of the political action committee (“Ob-GynPAC”).
The Immediate Past President attends the following regularly scheduled meetings:
- ACOG Executive Board Meetings
- Executive Board Retreat
- Executive Board Orientation
- Executive Committee Meetings
- Grievance Process Ratifications
- Annual Clinical and Scientific Meeting
- Annual Business Meeting
- Annual District Meetings (when necessary to represent president)
- Interim District Meeting (presidential officers rotate)
- Committee on Credentials
- Committee on Finance
- Grievance Committee
- Grievance Hearing Panels (as needed)
- Committee on Government Affairs
- Committee on Honors and Recognitions (as Auditor)
- Ob-GynPAC Governing Committee (as Chair)
- International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Other International Ob/Gyn Societies (as ACOG Representative)
- Presidential task forces, (if appointed, and meeting is at time of an Executive Board meeting)
Election and Term of Office
The term of office is one year, and the Immediate Past President is not eligible for re-election.
The time commitment may be equal to or exceed an average of 10 hours per workweek.
An honorarium is provided to the Immediate Past President for the duties performed and meetings attended. The honorarium may be adjusted depending on circumstances determined by ACOG policies and procedures. Reimbursement of some secretarial expenses is included. The Compensation Committee determines the honorarium level annually.