Postpartum Hemorrhage Education Modules (ONLINE SELF-LEARNING)
February 1, 2017 — January 31, 2018
Association of Women's Health, Obstetric & Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN)
"Postpartum Hemorrhage Education Modules" (ONLINE SELF-LEARNING)
February 1, 2017 — January 31, 2018.
AWHONN’s Postpartum (PPH) Education Modules are online resources designed to educate participants within this quality improvement initiative to improve recognition, readiness, and response to obstetric hemorrhage. Each module focuses on key concepts and clinical behaviors that are known to reduce maternal morbidity and mortality related postpartum hemorrhage.
Module I: An overview of Postpartum Hemorrhage (PPH) and Maternal Mortality
- Describe the current US maternal morbidity and mortality trends
- Describe the current trends in PPH
Module II: PPH Risk Assessment
- Explain the rationale for performing obstetrical hemorrhage risk assessments
- Identify the low, medium, and high risk factors associated with PPH upon admission, pre-birth, and post-birth
- Describe the anticipatory interventions for each risk category
Module III: Quantification of Maternal Blood Loss
- Discuss recommendation of quantification of blood loss (QBL) for every birth
- Explore the evidence related to visual estimation of blood loss (EBL) to QBL.
- Identify the implication of inaccurate measurement of excessive blood loss
Module IV: Maternal Warning Signs
- Describe the use of maternal assessments in the postpartum period
- Identify specific vital signs and blood loss parameters that are warning signs of severe maternal decline
- Summarize the key criteria for mobilizing the team when a woman is having a PPH
Module V: PPH Management
- Review the primary etiologies for PPH
- Identify the procedures and interventions for effective management of PPH
- Identify how the obstetric team should respond based on the stage of PPH
Module VI: Simulation-Based Training
- Define simulation-based training (SBT)
- Describe the process of developing and implementing SBT
- Describe how SBT can be used to improve OB team performance
Module VII: Transfusion Therapy
- Describe the downward spiral of blood loss during PPH
- Discuss transfusion therapy as an essential element in the treatment of PPH
- Evaluate recommended blood component therapies
Module VIII: Team Debriefing
- Review the importance and benefits of conducting a team debriefing
- Explain how debriefing can be used as an effective tool for improving team performance
- Describe the goals for the focused debrief
Jointly Provided Activities
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and Policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint providership of The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric & Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN). The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists designates this enduring material for a maximum of 2.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
College Cognate Credit(s)
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists designates this live activity for a maximum of 2.25 Category 1 College Cognate Credits. The College has a reciprocity agreement with the AMA that allows AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ to be equivalent to College Cognate Credits.