Stacy Tsai, MD, District VIII Junior Fellow chair
This year has been exciting and productive for District VIII Junior Fellows. I would like to highlight a few past and upcoming Junior Fellow events. Thirteen Junior Fellows attended the Section Officer Leadership Development Program on March 2 in Washington, DC. The event focused on preparing new Junior Fellow section officers and providing them with tools to help them effectively do their jobs.
Many of the Junior Fellow officers stayed in DC for the ACOG Congressional Leadership Conference, The President’s Conference, March 3–5. Junior Fellows were inspired by everything ACOG is doing to advocate for women’s health on Capitol Hill.
At the 2013 Interim District VIII Advisory Council Meeting April 13–14 in Las Vegas, Junior Fellow task forces worked on existing and new projects. The Social Media and Technology Task Force helps manage the District VIII Facebook page, posting important deadlines, conference information, and current articles and issues of interest. We have also been working to develop a database of graduating residents, so we can retain them as future Junior Fellows in practice and young physician leaders.
The Legislative Leadership Task Force has been planning a new leadership development course for the 2013 Annual District Meeting. Members of the task force are formulating strategies to establish more legislative days throughout the district and are implementing new Junior Fellow legislative chair positions at the district and section levels.
The Global Health Task Force met to discuss the District VIII Junior Fellow Central American Education Project. We are excited to announce our first grant recipient is the Honduras ob-gyn residency program. We are also looking for innovative ways to increase awareness of the project in Central America.
I’m excited to share some Junior Fellow activities occurring at the 2013 ADM:
- Leadership Development Luncheon and Course, Thursday, September 26, 1 to 4:30 pm: Whether it’s for running a team on labor and delivery, a hospital committee, or a private practice, this course will prepare young physicians to be more effective leaders. It includes a self-assessment to understand how participants are wired and how to interact with others who have different leadership styles
- Personalized Case List Review, Saturday, September 28, noon to 1 pm: Junior Fellows taking or preparing for their oral board examination (whether they have completed their case list or not) can preregister for this course. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional instructions
- Junior Fellow Trivia Challenge, Saturday, September 28, 8 to 9 am
- Junior Fellow Prize Paper Presentations, Friday, September 27, 2 to 2:30 pm, and Saturday, September 28, 9 to 9:30 am
- Scavenger Hunt FUNraiser: Help raise money for the District VIII Junior Fellow Central American Education Project (donations are tax deductible!). Embark on a photo scavenger hunt with medical students, Junior Fellows, and Fellows. Sign up in advance with LaShawn Jordan, District VIII project manager, at email@example.com, or sign up at the ADM at the registration table. You’ll take pictures of your team’s success throughout the meeting. Entries will be due on Friday, September 27, at 6 pm
Please join us for a fun and exciting meeting!