Lydia M. Jeffries, MD, committee chair
The District IV State Legislative Activities and Professional Liability Committee has been dormant for a number of years, so the immediate goals of the committee are to get it active and organized. The committee is composed of the vice chairs of each District IV section, with the exception of the Virginia Section, which named its chair, Holly S. Puritz, MD, as its representative.
The committee will meet at the ACOG State Legislative Roundtable September 20–21, as well as at the upcoming Annual District Meeting in Puerto Rico. I encourage each section to send a representative to the ACOG State Legislative Roundtable and, given this committee’s structure, that representative should be the vice chair.
District IV had 53 attendees at the ACOG Congressional Leadership Conference, The President’s Conference, earlier this year in Washington, DC. ACOG’s legislative priorities for 2013 are:
- Protecting the physician-patient relationship
- Highlighting women’s health
- Protecting the public health safety net for women
- Fixing Medicare physician payment
- Preventing unintended pregnancies and reducing the need for abortions
- Enacting meaningful medical liability reform
- Making medical student loan repayment more affordable
- Ensuring Affordable Care Act implementation meets the needs of ob-gyns and our patients
- Making obstetrics and maternity safer