2014 Junior Fellow Research Day
Junior Fellow Research Day was held May 21, 2014 at the James B. Henry Conference Center in East Lansing. Residents and fellows from nine institutions around the state gave 30 oral presentations and displayed 29 posters during the full day event sponsored by the Michigan Section.
Resident research award recipients were:
- Sonia Hovelson, MD, University of Michigan - Down-regulation of LH receptor mRNA in response to hCG treatment to mimic preovulatory LH surge is coupled to suppression of VEGF-a mRNA expression in rat ovaries
- Ana Tobiasz, MD, Grand Rapids Medical Education Partners - The incidence of Group B Strep sepsis in infants born to mothers via cesarean delivery
- Eisha Zaid, MD, University of Michigan - Anatomic outcomes of women undergoing a Michigan four wall sacrospinous ligament suspension analyzed by type of prolapse
Resident poster award recipient was:
- Laamy N. Tiadjeri, MD, Grand Rapids Medical Education Partners - Ectopic pregnancy diagnosis and treatment trends in Michigan
Fellow research award recipient was:
- Linda Hong, MD, University of Michigan - Developing novel aldehyde dehydrogenase inhibitors to target ovarian cancer stem cells
The keynote talk was given by Hope Haefner, MD from the University of Michigan, who spoke on the diagnosis and treatment of various vulvovaginal conditions.
The Section extends its thanks to the judges for this event, including:
- Rudi Ansbacher, MD – University of Michigan, emeritus
- Diana Curran, MD – University of Michigan
- Russel Jelsema, MD – Grand Rapids Medical Education Partners
- Theodore Jones, MD – Oakwood Hospital & Medical Center
- Jody Jones, MD – IHA/Michigan Section Vice Chair
- Roopina Sangha, MD, MPH – Henry Ford Health System
- Robert Welch, MD – St. John Providence Hospital
The meeting was under direction of the Junior Fellow Vice Chair, Ahizechukwu Eke, MD, MPH (Sparrow Hospital – MSU) with the expert coordination of Marlene Woodard and Junior Fellow Advisor, Diana Curran, MD.
Financial support for the meeting was provided by the following industry representatives:
- Abbvie Pharmaceuticals
- Bayer Healthcare
- Smith & Nephew Gynecology