CREATE A RITUAL FOR SEPARATING WORK AND HOME
You need down time from work worries, and your family deserves your full attention. Symbolically leave your workday behind, and anticipate being with your family, with these simple steps.
Pick a physical place to shift your perspective, such as:
- Getting into your car or other transportation
- Passing by a distinctive landmark
- Pulling into your driveway.
Take a deep breath to focus your attention, and a deep exhale, imagining tension leaving your body.
Then decide on an image for your mind's eye to help with the transition – some examples:
- Your office door closing behind you, and your home door opening in front of you.
- An image of water (standing under a tropical waterfall, a dive in a lake, swimming in the ocean) washing away the cares of the day, so that you can feel refreshed for the evening.
- Taking off your white coat and putting on something comfortable and homey.
When you get home, assist this transition by turning off your cellphone or PDA for a few hours of family time, if not on call.