Health Volunteers Overseas (HVO)
Description: HVO seeks to improve global health through education of the local health workforce in resource-scarce countries. Our volunteers are highly qualified professionals who build local capacity by empowering local health providers with knowledge and skills to address the needs of their communities.
Description: NGOabroad is a unique service that helps you enter or advance in international humanitarian work
and provides frugal, customized international volunteer opportunities.
Description: Operation Giving Back, managed by the American College of Surgeons, is a comprehensive resource designed to help surgeons find volunteer opportunities best suited to their expertise and interests, whether across town or across the world.
SEED Global Health
The Global Health Service Partnership is a public-private collaboration between Seed Global Health, the Peace Corps, and the US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). Established in 2012, the GHSP program is a novel federal initiative addressing vast shortages of health professionals in many parts of the world.
GHSP is committed to helping increase clinical care capacity and strengthen health systems in resource-limited settings by cultivating the next generation of local doctors and nurses. The program places US health professionals alongside local medical and nursing faculty counterparts to meet the teaching needs identified at each partner institution.
In the launch year of 2012-2013, GHSP placed 30 doctors and nurses at 11 training institutions in each of its three partner countries: Malawi, Tanzania and Uganda. For the 2014-2015 program, 42 GHSP clinical educators are currently working at 13 sites across Malawi, Tanzania, and Uganda.
Other Global Opportunities
Listed here are some organizations that Fellows have worked with to provide global health service.
- Cape Cod Community Health Center, https://www.chcofcapecod.org
- Center for Development in Central America, http://jhc-cdca.org
- Community Health Initiative - Haiti (CHI-Haiti), http://www.chihaiti.org
- Crudem, http://www.crudem.org
- Health Talents, http://healthtalents.org
- Hearts in Motion, http://www.heartsinmotion.org
- International Midwife Assistance, Teso Safe Motherhood Project, http://www.midwifeassist.org
- Medical Ministry International (MMI), http://www.mmicanada.ca
- Medicine in Action, http://medicineinaction.org
- Saving Mothers, http://savingmothers.org
- Stanford Global Health, http://globalhealth.stanford.edu
- The International Organization for Women and Development, Inc, http://www.iowd.org
- University of Washington, http://depts.washington.edu/obgyn/patient-care/family-planning.html