ICD-10 Code Proposals
Now that ICD-10-CM implementation has occurred, and as we delve into the complexities of ICD-10-CM coding, ACOG is asking for our Fellows’ help to identify areas in the code set that are:
- Clinically inaccurate
- Not specific enough
- Reference new technology
- Did not carry over from ICD-9-CM or are
- New requirements for tracking/quality measures
Over the past several years when the ICD code set was frozen, ACOG submitted several new ICD-10-CM code proposals to the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), and CDC, which is the Federal Agency that has the lead on new code proposals and revisions to the ICD-10-CM diagnosis code set. Although there is no guarantee that the newly proposed codes will be approved. If they are approved, however, they will become part of the first regular ICD-10-CM release, October 1, 2016.
The following is the list of ICD-10-CM code proposals that have already been submitted.
Proposals submitted in 2012
- Previous (History of) C-section incision
- Previous (History of) Myomectomy
Proposal submitted in 2013
- Placenta Previa (proposal for codes to differentiate between low-lying placenta, and partial and complete placenta previa)
Proposals submitted in 2014
- Encounters for initial and maintenance of ring, patch. Subdermal implantable contraceptives added to the request at the September 2015 C&M meeting per vendor request.
- Ectopic pregnancy (with and without intrauterine pregnancy)
- Minimally invasive surgery converted to open
- Expansion of code section for 3rd degree lacerations
- Expansion of code section for supervision of pregnancy with history of molar or ectopic pregnancy
- Gestational carrier
- Ovarian cyst laterality
- Mechanical complication of IUD - inclusion note for "missing string" (submitted as index entry only)
American Urological Association (AUA) Proposals - 2014
- Dyspareunia (to identify types of dyspareunia not currently represented in ICD-10)
- Incontinence (to identify types of incontinence not currently represented in ICD-10)
- Difficulties with micturition (to identify types of micturition difficulties not currently represented in ICD-10)
Proposals submitted in 2015
North American Society for Adolescent Gynecology (NASPAG) Proposal
- Prepubertal vaginal bleeding
- CALME (childhood asymmetric labium majus enlargement)
- Expansion of codes for Longitudinal vaginal septum
- Hypertension in Pregnancy (to standardize reporting to incorporate hypertension complicating childbirth and the puerperium)
Proposals for the March 2016 ICD-10 Coordination and Maintenance Committee Meeting
- Re-introduction of antepartum screening specificity
American Urogynecological Society (AUGS) Proposal
- Reorganization of vaginal prolapse code section
If you discover areas of the ICD-10 data set that need a new code(s) to capture additional data/specificity that has not already been captured with one of the code proposals identified above, please let us know as soon as possible. Please submit requests for changes or new codes to HealthEconomics@acog.org. The ACOG deadline (for Coding Committee review) for new code submissions to be presented at the March 2016 ICD-10 Coordination and Maintenance Committee Meeting for possible inclusion in the October 2016 ICD-10-CM release is November 20, 2015.
Code proposals submitted to ACOG after November 20, 2015 will be added to the proposals to be submitted for the October 1, 2017 ICD-10-CM release.
Thank you for your help!